Monday, July 14, 2014

France... Encore!

It's hard to believe it's been just over two years since I last lived in France! Now that I am officially returning for the next school year, I figured it was time to start posting again to document this experience.

The whirlwind of preparations has already gotten underway! A professor of mine told me about the Teaching Assistants Program in France (TAPIF) years ago and I knew that it was something I would have to pursue after college. This program would allow me to combine my two passions-- teaching and French. While I began looking into it and considering it a long time ago, the application process started in September and I finally my application for consideration in mid-December. I knew not to expect any response until mid-April sometime, but come the afternoon of April 1st I had received notification of my acceptance! I was half convinced it was a joke until I received follow-up information in the days following. I was told I would be teaching English to elementary students somewhere in the region of Lyon, which had been my first choice.
http://spenatalie.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/map.gif

Since then I waited to receive my actual placement of city-- which I received just a few days ago. Come September, I will be returning to France to live in Saint Etienne, though I will be commuting to two nearby towns to teach: Saint Chamond and Rive de Gier. Within the same notification came a huge surprise... the opportunity to be an au pair for a family with three girls, if I wanted. Within a day, I had made up my mind that this was a chance I could not pass up. Not only would I be able to teach in France, to elementary students, but I would be able to immerse myself even further into the language and culture than I had ever imagined! And as a bonus, they want me to start earlier and end later, meaning I will end up being there from mid-September until the end of June. 9 whole months instead of 7!
http://www.emprunt-direct.com/empruntdirect/cache/file/236129FD-EFC4-7AE3-3359E626A5A7D20B.jpg
Saint Etienne-- My future home!

The family lives in the centre-ville (downtown) of Saint Etienne off of a beautiful square called Jean Jaures. I will be able to live with them for free and I would have my own room. This is particularly amazing because I was so worried about how I was going to pay for rent on a minimal salary. My responsibilities will include me taking the three girls to school and various after school activities, helping with homework, and looking after them while their parents are gone, but I am promised nights and weekends to myself!

http://www.meteocity.com/medias/gallery/large/france/REG22/DPTM42/place-jean-jaures-saint-etienne.jpghttp://nsa14.casimages.com/img/2010/03/16/100316063929112830.jpg
Place Jean Jaures-- the square I'll be living off of!
I am currently awaiting further details about this au pair opportunity, but I am certain that it will be an absolutely unforgettable experience and I couldn't feel luckier. All I can say to all my friends and family in the U.S. is... good luck getting me back this time!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Nice story.
    You seem to be in love with France and where you live.
    I just got informed that I have been accepted to a master's program in Jean Monnet University.
    I will be moving there late summer.
    Could you please give me some tips on how I can find an Au Pair like you did? Or a family that are willing to accept a foreign student in their house in Saint Etienne?
    I would be grateful if you could give me some advice.

    Best,
    Sarvenaz
    saintsp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete